The Drake Hotel
Drake Hotel Properties is experiencing an exciting phase of growth and is currently seeking a MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN to join our dynamic team.
We are looking for a guest + employee focused, hardworking, professional, flexible and positive individual who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty to take pride in the beauty and upkeep of our guest rooms and public spaces. Reporting to the Maintenance Operations Manager, the Maintenance Technician is responsible for providing maintenance support and service to the hotel and surrounding facilities; carries out basic plumbing, heating and electrical repairs and assigned projects from the Maintenance Manager and Director of Engineering.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the proper functioning of all guestrooms and hotel facilities serving the comfort and safety of guests.
- Ensure timely response and action at emergencies (fire alarm, water damage and electrical power failures) during the shift.
- Assemble furniture and equipment for guestrooms and various departments as required in preparation for the hotel opening.
- Inspect and perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment, or machines including cleaning, and visual inspections.
- Perform minor repairs to drywall and other finished interiors and millwork, plunging toilets, replacing batteries or fuses etc.
- Apply paint, stain and other finishes to property walls, ceilings and furniture using brushes, spray guns or rollers, while maintaining property colour scheme specifications.
- Perform equipment readings, meter readings and maintain logs.
- Perform routine repairs and assist engineers on major repairs of all hotel equipment including small appliances, laundry equipment, boilers, plumbing, HVAC.
- Address and respond to guest’s service needs, including guest calls in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact and a friendly verbal greeting using the guests’ names when possible.
- Compliance with all safety regulations of assigned tasks, and ensure a clean and safe working environment with active participation in the health and safety program.
- Adhere to all environmental policies and programs as required.
- Employee will be required to do heavy lifting and climbing of ladders/stairs into confined spaces.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Technical training/license preferred in electrical, HVAC or plumbing 5 years of experience repairing and maintaining equipment. Hotel/hospitality experience is an asset.
- 5 years of experience in maintenance.
- Carpentry, drywall install, painting, plumbing, mechanical/electrical aptitude and trouble-shooting skills + abilities.
- Able to identify key issues; creatively and strategically overcome internal challenges or obstacles.
- Ability to work in a team environment and the ability to work with minimal supervision and take charge in situations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and activities. Strong eye for detail.
- Positive and energetic individual with a "can-do" attitude.
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Must be PC literate (i.e. comfortable with computers, software, mobile applications, etc.)
- Preference will be given to those with a PMP certification.
- Valid drivers’ license with a good driving record and the ability to travel between facilities as needed is an asset.
- Physical demands include continual standing and walking during shift. Must be able to lift 20 kg unassisted and be able to work from heights. Will occasionally encounter toxic chemicals during shift as might typically be used in performance of maintenance activities.
- Available for (occasional) varying hours/shifts.
- Desire to learn and grow.
- Available and flexible to workdays, evenings and weekends, on call to respond to emergency situations when off site.
WHAT WE OFFER:
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership and development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals who are looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. Drake offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, employee discounts, training + development support and many other unique perks as a part of joining the Drake team.
The Drake Hotel is an equal opportunity employer: We are committed and actively working towards fostering a positive, supportive, and creative environment at Drake Hotel Properties that promotes equity, inclusiveness and diversity. We welcome job applications from candidates of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black, and racialized persons; refugee, newcomer and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, and persons with disabilities. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.