Senior HR Operations Manager
Reporting to the CFO, this individual will act as the go-to person for all employee-related issues, managing and executing day-to-day activities such as recruitment, employee relations, performance management, employee engagement, training and health + safety. They will also be responsible for creating HR enhancements through the evaluation of current policies and practices, strategic planning, and implementing revisions.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, results-oriented leader who is particularly adept at balancing multiple priorities and issues, with a real ‘hands-on’ approach. This role requires someone who is dedicated to developing a strong, diverse, and collaborative organization, having both a strong work ethic, a passion for managing the details within a constantly changing, fast-paced business and a willingness to contribute where necessary, due to the complexities of the re-emerging Hospitality Industry, and ongoing pandemic recovery.
- Manage + execute the day-to-day Human Resources priorities and deliverables.
- Develop and implement human resources policies and programs that align with the company’s strategic goals.
- Champion a culture of diversity and inclusion, create and deliver initiatives designed to embed the long-term sustainability of E, D&I efforts.
- Directly manage the Payroll + HR Systems Coordinator’s deliverables and performance. Oversee + approve bi-weekly payroll administration, benefits programs and HR metrics.
- Manage comprehensive employee programs and provide a source of information, expertise, and advice to employees on compensation and benefits.
- Lead the Annual Employee Survey campaign; driving participation, reviewing data + preparing analytic reports; implement measures to increase employee morale and motivation in response and develop strong staff communications.
- Serve as a fairness advocate and manage employee relations issues: conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations, hearing and resolving employee grievances; provide counsel to employees and managers as required.
- Provide coaching and resources to employees and managers with respect to career development and performance management.
- Management of occupational (WSIB), non-occupational injuries and the employee return-to-work processes.
- Oversee health & safety initiatives, including those related to COVID-19, and provide oversight of requirements ensuring effective training and
- Launch and manage all areas of the Performance Management process for salaried staff; including goal setting, development planning, reviews, calibration, and coaching + leadership counsel to managers.
- Deliver full-cycle recruitment including strategy, evaluation of position needs, creating job descriptions, strategic job postings, interviewing, reference checking and employee offers.
- Lead HR communication strategies including employment branding, internal communications, new policy development, program launches, etc.
- Organize and facilitate internal HR-related training for all supervisors and managers.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing all human resource regulatory requirements and providing guidance on provincial employment regulations.
- Experience in all areas of Human Resources including recruiting, new hire processing, benefits administration, employee counselling, employee reviews, legal issues relating to HR, and management training.
- Strong influencing skills to navigate and work with all levels of leadership within the organization and across in a multi-location/satellite office environment.
- Experience in managing day-to-day operations ensuring proper processes and checks are in place.
- Experience supervising/managing a small team.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills.
- A mindset of continuous improvement and the ability to coach others on how to improve our approach to employee relations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to synthesize and communicate outcomes of sensitive topics to employees and leaders.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and demonstrates a passion and understanding for the hospitality industry.
- Willingness to learn and lean into unfamiliar tasks. Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve strong results.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience working in human resources in a progressive environment. 2-3 years of experience managing people.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, or related field or equivalent experience. Master’s degree and/or CHRP/CHRL designation through HRPA degree an asset.
- Strong practical knowledge of the evolving legal and regulatory environment and relevant legislation relating to employee relations including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, ESA, COVID-19 bi-laws, and other related legislation/regulations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Visio) + excellent writing skills.
- Hospitality experience is a tremendous asset and is actually preferred/encouraged!
What we offer:
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership and development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals who are looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. Drake offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, employee discounts, training + development support and many other unique perks as a part of joining the Drake team. This is a 12-15 month maternity leave contract.
The Drake Hotel is an equal opportunity employer: We are committed and actively working towards fostering a positive, supportive, and creative environment at Drake Hotel Properties that promotes equity, inclusiveness and diversity. We welcome job applications from candidates of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black, and racialized persons; refugee, newcomer and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons and persons with disabilities. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.
Note: This role is currently primarily working remotely due to COVID-19. Office/on-site visits are required occasionally based on business needs. This is reviewed on a monthly basis.