The Drake Hotel
When your industry is hospitality, the people are key.
The Drake has humble beginnings, with a small team of entrepreneurial spirits whose energy has transformed into a growing group of dreamers + doers. As a leading hotel, hospitality + lifestyle brand in Canada, [and winner of Canada’s Top Small + Medium Employers, might we add...] The Drake is an ever-expanding cultural hub that brings communities together around one-of-a-kind experiences that blend food + drink, art + music, meetings + weddings and unforgettable hotel stays, all delivered by some of the best people you’ll ever meet.
We are currently looking for an exceptional Leader + General Manager to join us as we look ahead to our next exciting chapter, Opening in Spring 2021.
About the Role
This individual will oversee all aspects of property and business management for the Drake Hotel on Queen West. In accordance with our overall mission statement, you will seek to create an exceptional, memorable, world-class establishment by maximizing financial performance, guest satisfaction, operational effectiveness and staff development within established quality standards for the Drake. This role will report into the Chief Operations Officer.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following key metrics at the property:
Budget + Expense Management
- Develop accurate long and short-range financial objectives for the business, reviewing and adjusting targets to reflect the business needs through the year
- Report weekly to senior leader to share top level sales, labour and expense results, identifying trends, challenges and issues. Implement strategies and corrective action with input from senior report
- Maintain close oversight of labour productivity and food + beverage costing, ensuring efficiency and reducing waste
Guest Satisfaction + Quality Control
- Ensure excellent guest satisfaction by monitoring, evaluating, and auditing hotel, food + beverage, and service offerings; initiating improvements; building relationships with preferred patrons and important stakeholders
- Maintain product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints and feedback. Initiate corrective action
Sales/Business Development + Community Relations
- Attract guests by developing and implementing year-round sales, marketing, programming, public and community relations programs; evaluating program results; identifying and tracking changing demands on operations
- Act as key point of contact for site specific corporate partnerships, work with Events team and Corporate office to maintain and strengthen long standing partnerships and cultivate new ones
- Act as the “face” of the business, maintaining active public engagement in community events, establishing rapport with neighbors, businesses and local community groups
- Support the Sales to team to manage an active book of returning, new and prospect clients to ensure personal sales quotas across all properties are met and/or exceeded
- Oversee all Food + Beverage + Room Operations, championing all policies + procedures, quality standards and training programs
- Maintain a strong focus on achieving and/or exceeding revenue targets, within acceptable labor cost and service standard parameters
- Ensure exceptional safety practices of employees and guests, assisting in the maintenance of proper food/liquor handling, storage, service, emergency, security procedures and Health and Safety Policies + protocols (COVID- 19)
- Ensure maintenance of equipment, facility, and grounds through the use of a Preventative Maintenance Plan based on DHP standards.
- Liaise with Chief Operating Officer on Revenue Management and Yielding of rates and inventory
Leadership / Staff Development
- Act as the overall leader for the business, actively managing a team of skilled F+B Managers, Hotel Managers, and BOH Managers as well as a highly engaged hourly team
- Cultivate a positive, fun and engaged work environment, with a focus on accountability, training, mentoring and continuous feedback
- Demonstrate progressive approach to management, seeking ways to motivate staff, retain key talent and attract high caliber hospitality staff
- You’re a trailblazer! The Drake is dynamic, we embrace new challenges and opportunities every day, hence you will need to bring your 'Can Do' attitude and share learnings with the team on a daily basis
- You’re a seasoned hospitality leader with expertise in both hotel + restaurant property management.
- You’re excited to oversee multiple hotel, food + beverage, and operations departments in a high-volume environment without breaking a sweat
- You have demonstrated the ability to attract, retain and build a high-performing hospitality, operations and sales teams who share your exceptional passion for service and exceeding targets
- You love keeping up with food + beverage trends, as well as movements in the lifestyle hotel industry, whether it’s here in our little nook of the world or across the globe
- Minimum of 5 years in a cross-functional, hotel and hospitality management property, overseeing multiple hotel, food and beverage and operations departments within a high volume and/or, seasonal peak environment
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and the ability to attract, retain and build a large, (200+ employees) high performing hospitality and operations team
- Post-secondary education in Hotel or Hospitality management a strong preference
What We Offer
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership + development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. The Drake offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, employee discounts, training + development support and many other unique perks as a part of joining The Drake team.