Senior HR Manager (15-month contract)
When your industry is hospitality, the people are key. The Drake has humble beginnings, with a small team of entrepreneurial spirits whose energy has transformed into a growing group of dreamers + doers. As a leading hospitality brand in Canada, [and winner of Canada’s Top Small + Medium Employers, might we add...] The Drake is an ever-expanding cultural hub that brings communities together around one-of-a-kind experiences that blend food + drink, art + music, and unforgettable hotel stays all delivered by some of the best people you’ll ever meet.
We are currently looking for Senior Human Resources Manager to lead all aspects of human resources practices and processes, across all Drake Properties.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this individual will act as the go-to person for all employee-related issues, managing and executing on activities such as recruitment, employee relations, performance management, employee engagement, training and health + safety. They will also be responsible for creating HR enhancements through the evaluation of current policies and practices, strategic planning, and implementing revisions on an on-going basis.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, results-oriented leader who is particularly adept at balancing multiple priorities and issues. This role requires someone who is dedicated to developing a strong, diverse, and collaborative organization, having both a strong work ethic, a passion for managing the details within a dynamic business and a willingness to contribute where necessary, due to the complexities of the re-emerging Hospitality Industry, post-Covid.
- Manage + execute on Human Resources priorities and deliverables.
- Develop and implement human resources policies and programs that align with the company’s strategic goals.
- Role model key behaviours demonstrating the Company’s values and encourage a strong performance-focused culture within the company.
- Champion a culture of diversity and inclusion, create and deliver initiatives designed to embed the long-term sustainability of D&I efforts. T Directly manage the Payroll + HR Systems Coordinator’s deliverables and performance.
- Oversee + approve bi-weekly payroll administration.
- Maintain pay plan and benefits program.
- With CFO and Payroll + HR Systems Coordinator, review benefits program usage + HR metrics, facilitate broker negotiations to develop program enhancements.
- Lead the Annual Employee Survey campaign; driving participation, reviewing data + preparing analytic reports; implement measures to increase employee morale and motivation in response and develop strong staff communications.
- Bridge management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances or other issues.
- Provide coaching and resources to employees and managers with respect to career development, compensation, staffing initiatives, performance management and employee relations.
- Guide and advise leaders in corrective action, development plans, employee terminations, etc.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing all human resource regulatory requirements.
- Interpret and provide guidance on provincial regulations and relevant standards to ensure policies and procedures are updated accordingly and in compliance.
- Management of occupational (WSIB) and non-occupational injuries and the return-to-work process
- Oversee health and safety initiatives, including those related to COVID-19, and provide oversight of Health & Safety requirements ensuring compliance.
- Manage and administer all areas of Performance Management process for salaried staff; including goal setting, development planning, reviews, calibration, and coaching + leadership counsel to managers.
- Deliver full recruitment services including evaluation of position needs, creating job descriptions, strategic job postings, interviewing, reference checking and employee offers.
- Lead HR communication strategies including employment branding, internal communications, new policy development, program launches, etc.
- Organize and facilitate internal HR related training for all Supervisors and Managers.
- Experience in all areas of the Human Resources including recruiting, new hire processing, benefits administration, employee counselling, employee reviews, legal issues relating to HR, and management training.
- Demonstrated ability to get buy-in and support across an organization
- Significant experience managing up, down and across in a multi-location/satellite office environment
- Demonstrated discretion and diplomacy to be included in senior level compensation, planning and performance discussions at all levels, including Executive
- Experience in managing day-to-day operations ensuring proper processes and checks are in place
- Experience supervising/managing a small team
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in a quickly evolving and rapid-paced organization.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills
- Well developed coaching and leadership skills, both on a formal and informal basis.
- Creative, forward thinker.
- Self Starter with a high degree of initiative.
- Well developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective written communication and policy writing skills.
- Effective time management skills and strict adherence to deadlines.
- Minimum of 6+ years experience working in human resources in a progressive environment. 2-3 years experience managing people.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, or related field or equivalent experience. Master’s degree and/or CHRP/CHRL designation through HRPA degree an asset.
- Strong practical knowledge of relevant legislation including ESA, Human Rights, current COVID-19 bi-laws, and other related legislation/regulations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Visio)
- Knowledge of current HR trends and best practices
- An understanding of D&I principles and best practices an asset
- Hospitality experience a tremendous asset!
Note: This role is primarily working remotely due to COVID-19. Office/on-site visits required occasionally based on business needs.
WHAT WE OFFER:
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership and development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals who are looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. Drake offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, employee discounts, training + development support and many other unique perks as a part of joining the Drake team.
The Drake Hotel is an equal opportunity employer: We are committed and actively working towards fostering a positive, supportive, and creative environment at Drake Hotel Properties that promotes equity, inclusiveness and diversity. We welcome job applications from candidates of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black, and racialized persons; refugee, newcomer and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, and persons with disabilities. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.