Rooms Division Manager
The Drake Hotel
The Drake Hotel, an anchor of West Queen West has helped to transform Toronto’s cultural and hospitality map. Our hotel provides a great development opportunity to work within a highly spirited and dynamic team, with a fierce passion for service, culture, and community.
The Rooms Division Manager plays a central role in a thriving boutique hotel environment and is a key member of the property’s Management team. A seasoned hospitality professional, you manage all areas within the Hotel Operations department to ensure 100% guest satisfaction. Reporting to the General Manager, the Rooms Division Manager’s primary responsibility is paying close attention to guest’s requirements pre, post, and during their stay and fostering a service-first environment.
A team player and an effective leader, you understand the importance of a seamlessly integrated Hotel and F+B experience to fulfill and exceed guest expectations and to maintain our best in class position locally and internationally, and as such you set an example and foster a climate of cooperation across departments.
Front Desk Operations
- Oversees all daily Front Desk operations including reception, reservations, and guest services.
- Constantly improves, executes and evaluates departmental policies, standards and procedures while ensuring all staff are continually informed of departmental objectives and goals. Works with Marketing/Programming, F+B, Housekeeping, and other departments to ensure this objective is met.
- Leads team in all areas of Guest/Concierge services offered, ensuring quality and consistency of interaction is achieved and tracked. Develops and updates systems, procedures and tools related to guest/concierge services to ensure that resources are current and up to Drake’s standards for recommendation (i.e. binder, manuals, shared folder on fileserver, etc. with the assistance of Front Desk Shift Supervisor(s)).
- Trains, motivates and supervises Front Desk and Housekeeping teams while ensuring productivity and profitability are maximized through optimal scheduling and proactive planning. Establishes training plan for new hires and Interns. Provides mentoring, support and coaching as part of daily interaction with staff; maintains staff performance records and performs 90 day and annual reviews.
- Establishes training plan for new hires and Interns. Provides mentoring, support and coaching as part of daily interaction with staff; maintains staff performance records and contributes to semi- annual reviews with staff and Hotel Manager.
Rooms/ Housekeeping Operations
- Performs ‘spot’ room and hallway checks daily, to ensure highest level of cleanliness achieved 100% of the time
- Performs room checks in absence of Housekeeping Supervisor.
- Oversees inventory (linens, snacks, cleaning supplies) management and supply ordering, manages on inventory/cost control:
- Oversees all mini bar ordering and inventory inclusive of snacks, amenity, and tuck shop items as requests submitted by Supervisor or in the absence of a Supervisor
- Coordinates Quarterly and Year-End Inventory counts for Housekeeping
- Submits general hotel amenity ordering (sheets, towels, Malin + Goetz etc.) to Purchaser
- Performs weekly facilities walk throughs with Maintenance Manager and General Manager, attends weekly Facilities meetings
- Attends weekly OPS meetings
- Liaise with GM on Revenue Management and Yielding of rates and inventory.
Staff Scheduling/Labour Budget
- Sets annual labour budget and hotel revenue target goals with General Manager and Director of Finance
- Oversees staff scheduling and payroll for front desk, housekeeping and overnight staffing
- Liaise between Overnight Cleaners and Hotel-directing them on cleaning checklist and objectives.
- Oversees rate and yield management strategies, as well as creation and execution of hotel packages in keeping with budgetary performance targets. Trains and incentivizes staff to upsell packages/amenities/ services.
- Manages vacation and statutory holiday tracking for Hotel Operations team
- Manages Hotel Rate and Yield Management. Oversees implementation of seasonal packages and promotions and attends weekly marketing status meetings to develop ongoing promotional opportunities with the creative team.
Budget + Expense Management
- Create and share reporting on top level sales, labour and expense results, identifying trends, challenges and issues.
- Control purchases and inventory and remain abreast of challenges with property operating expenses against the approved budget
- Maintain close oversight of labour and expenses to ensuring efficiency.
- Review reports, prepare summaries, propose areas for improvement with action plans
Systems & Procedures
- Sets, implements and oversees Front Desk and Housekeeping policies/procedures to ensure highest level of efficiency and services is maintained 100% of the time
- Works with IT Manager to maximize potential of key functions of Innquest/RoomMaster operating system, online inventory channels, and Onity key lock system.
- Compiles data for Staff evaluations, performance reviews, and staff files updates for Front Desk and Housekeeping departments
- Manages staff + performance related to Front Desk and Housekeeping policies/ procedures/protocols to ensure systems and service levels run efficiently 100% of the time.
- Conducts weekly scheduling meetings and quarterly reviews with Housekeeping Supervisor.
- Maintains dialogue with staff on standards and performance to ensure consistent levels of performance are achieved and awareness of improvement or lack thereof is acknowledged prior to any written reports or warnings.
- Manages staff + performance related to Front Desk policies/ procedures/protocols to ensure systems and service levels run efficiently 100% of the time.
- Leads team in all areas of Guest/Concierge services offered, ensuring quality and consistency of interaction is achieved and tracked. Ensures that all daily GSA procedures are well communicated, documented, and adhered to. Develops and updates systems, procedures and tools related to guest/concierge services to ensure that resources are current and up to Drake’s standards for recommendation (i.e. binder, manuals, checklists, etc).
- Acts as initial contact person for in-room photo shoots
- Utilize corporate marketing resources to develop and implement ongoing campaigns, both location and company specific
WHAT WE OFFER:
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership and development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals who are looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. Drake offers a competitive compensation, bonus, and benefits package.
The Drake Hotel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering a positive, supportive, and creative environment at Drake Hotel Properties that promotes equity, inclusiveness and diversity. We welcome job applications from candidates of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour); refugees, newcomers, and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, and persons with disabilities. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.