The Drake Hotel
The Drake Hotel, an anchor of West Queen West has helped to transform Toronto’s cultural and hospitality map. After 17 years of success, the Drake is experiencing an exciting hotel expansion, growth phase with the launch of our new Modern Wing scheduled this summer. With 32 additional guest rooms, a dramatic new lobby, cozy bar and updated facilities, we are currently seeking an EXECUTIVE CHEF to lead our dynamic kitchen team. This role provides a unique opportunity for an experienced, passionate and innovative culinary professional and inspiring leader who is looking for a rewarding hospitality career, where Dining has always been an integral part of The Drake Hotel experience!
A combination of skills and experience that include operational excellence in a high-volume business, as well as a proven desire to strive for continuous culinary innovation are required, building on The Drake’s popular comfort classics with a twist, with emphasis on seasonal flavours in a contemporary and elevated context. You will play an integral role in driving innovation in our offerings, specials, regular and successful wknd. brunch menus, catering and special event programs, ensuring that they remain fresh and exciting. Working with the Corporate Executive Chef, the culinary development will be reflective of The Drake brand and our growth, with a keen eye to revenue growth and responsible cost containment.
The ideal candidate will bring management experience from a similar environment, as well as a strong culinary background alongside staff management, operations, safety and compliance skills. The individual will be focused on quality and consistent execution of the food program and will participate in menu development in conjunction with the GM, Senior F+B Front of House team and kitchen leadership.
Reporting to the General Manager and Corporate Executive Chef, you will contribute to an interdependent management team that includes: Hotel, FOH, Culinary, Events, Security, Facilities and the HR and Corporate Service departments.
Business + Financial Leadership
- Acting as a collaborative member of the Drake Hotel Management Team, working closely with Special Events, Marketing, F+B FOH and Hotel to create exceptional offerings for our guests and increase Drake’s profile as a dining destination
- Develop, achieve and maintain appropriate and budgeted staffing levels and labour costs through effective hiring, training and scheduling
- Disseminate financial information and keep the BOH staff informed on budgets and targets that affect the total bottom line as well as incentivized bonuses
- Develop annual budgets, inclusive of business planning, for food revenue/costs and kitchen labour
- Balance strong revenue growth and culinary innovation by planning and developing The Drake’s food identity and place within the market
- Manage all menus, (incl. 3 seasonal and all event menus) within the framework of the Drake brand connecting the menu with both local and Drake suppliers
- Special Event (wedding and corporate group) menus to be designed correspondent to these menus
- Achieve and maintain budgeted food cost allowances through responsible sourcing, menu creation and procurement
Leadership and Culinary Team Development
- Create and manage goals and responsibilities for BOH managers
- Oversee food operations in standalone Dining Room; busy, full-service Lounge; all-day Café, celebrated, year-round Sky Yard. Outdoor seating in the season of 200+; seated capacity of 325+
- Act as a keen talent scout for the kitchen, working with HR to recruit, train and mentor new kitchen staff and students
- Understand and adhere to all kitchen operational policies + procedures, standards and training programs
- The Executive Chef will take a leadership position in the community outreach initiatives of The Drake, by participating in approved culinary events, competitions and charity initiatives
- Monitoring and managing service, quality, health + safety, equipment upkeep and cleanliness
- 5+ years of progressive kitchen leadership experience (Head Chef or CDC) in a high-volume, fine or casual dining environment
- Demonstrated awareness of and interest in current culinary trends in the marketplace
- Demonstrated patience, tact and diplomacy while leading a diverse team of industry professionals
- Ability to multi-task, remain cool and keep up in a fast-paced environment (available evenings/weekends/holidays)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both verbal & written
- Red Seal Certification or equivalent considered a strong asset
WHAT WE OFFER:
We pride ourselves in providing strong leadership and development opportunities for passionate hospitality professionals who are looking to build rewarding, long-term careers. Drake offers a competitive compensation, bonus and benefits package.
The Drake Hotel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering a positive, supportive, and creative environment at Drake Hotel Properties that promotes equity, inclusiveness and diversity. We welcome job applications from candidates of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour); refugees, newcomers and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, and persons with disabilities. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.
Want to keep up with What’s On @ Drake? Sign up for our E-AKE Newsletter below:
https://www.thedrake.ca/subscribe/ or follow us @thedrake