The Drake has been turning out these tender-centred, crunchy-exteriored, blueberry-packed delights for more than 15 years. With baking season back on and with more time at home, why not try your hand at making them yourself? Trust us, this is a recipe you’ll want to bookmark. Bon appétit!
Makes nine scones.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter (cold)
- 3/4 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Turbinado sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Cut cold butter into the dry ingredients, keeping mixture loose and sandy.
- Add milk and cream and lightly mix until the wet ingredients are just barely incorporated.
- Lightly dust the frozen blueberries with flour, then add to bowl. Mix gently.
- Press dough into a parchment-lined, 8” x 8” glass baking dish and place in freezer for 20-30 minutes — until the dough is cold enough to portion cleanly.
- Turn the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and cut into nine squares.
- Brush each square with cream and top with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.