People come to us for many things, but top of that heap—right up there with the hospitality, the food, and the creative, community vibe that has always defined the Drake—is music. And 2013, as we all know, was a pretty killer year for tunes.
So who better to take the pulse of the last twelve months than the people who curate, cultivate, and nurture the scene at Toronto's cultural crossroads? That's pretty much what we've done here. As we count down the hours and days to 2014, we asked our brilliant music programmer, Nathan Stein, for his own choice picks of 2013.
Here they are, the ten EPs of the last year that rocked the rock that the Drake rocks on.
1) LOCAL NATIVES - HUMMINGBIRD
2) QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE - ... LIKE CLOCKWORK
3) ST. LUCIA - WHEN THE NIGHT
4) BLOOD ORANGE - CUPID DELUXE
5) KURT VILE - WAKIN ON A PRETTY DAZE
6) DELOREAN - APAR
7) ARCTIC MONKEYS - AM
8) LAURA MVULA - SING TO THE MOON
9) AUTRE NE VEUT - ANXIETY
10) UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA - II